Sunday, July 29, 2012

Thy will...


I wonder what would happen if I ended each of my prayers with the small but powerful phrase, “Thy will be done.”

You know, as in “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” 

Yes, that’s from the Lord’s Prayer found in Matthew 5, which is of course the prayer Christ gave us as a model for righteous and effectual conversations with the Father.

I am ashamed,
     yet not surprised,
          by how infrequently I include
               this humble entreaty in my talks with the Lord.

We live in a results-oriented, “get-it-done-yesterday” society that compounds the trouble we already have with the impatience and willfulness deeply seated in our human condition.

What would happen if our prayers were still specific and persistent,
     but each request ended with,
          “Lord, not as I will, but as You will”
(Compare Christ’s prayer in Gethsemane as recorded in Matthew 26:39.)

The relief that comes from throwing our concerns squarely into the capable hands of our gracious, powerful Father! 

Not taking on any of the responsibility for moving the mountain other than bringing the matter to the Lord in faith-filled petition!

What freedom! 

Yes, I wonder what would happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment