Sunday, July 15, 2012

Like stars


Hope shines brightest in the midst of trial.

My pastor believes this.  He spoke on it this morning in his sermon.

I believe this, too.

How does bright hope pour out of the believer in the midst of 
hardship, 
tragedy, 
struggle?

It’s not simply a mindset, though there is much to be said for the strength of character that declares, “God has allowed this situation for my good and His glory, so I will trust Him for the outcome…despite these difficult circumstances.” 

It’s more than that.
    
It’s the power of Christ in us.
     The power that confounds the wise.
The power that makes the weak mysteriously emerge as strong and mighty.
     Christ’s own reflection in our lives.

I know a little something of trauma, of disappointment, of battling painful forces beyond my control.

How often, though, am I prepared to give a gentle answer to those who wonder about the Hope I have?  (I Peter 3:15)

Can others even see my Hope…or do they only see me fussing and fretting and fighting in my own strength?

Do I allow the Holy Spirit to shine through me in my hour of grief?  Do I find my identity and purpose in Christ’s own suffering for my sake?  (Philippians 2:5ff)

When this season is over, will I have completed the course well…or will I have wasted precious teachable, refining moments in frustration and faithlessness?


Do you find yourself in the midst of discouragement and distress? 
     Rest assured:  the redemption of this season is already at hand.  
          The Lord’s purposes are for your wellbeing,
               and His care for you is like that of a tender shepherd.  

His beautiful pathway for your life is upheld in His ability to know and do all things and to love you without condition or prejudice.  His glorious plans cannot be thwarted!  (Job 42:2)


Lord, may we—and the Hope that You have placed within us—shine forth like stars as we hold out the Word of Life!  (Philippians 2:15)


“God has chosen to make known among [us] the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in [us], the hope of glory.”  
(Colossians 1:27)  



No comments:

Post a Comment