Saturday, May 5, 2012

Listening in technicolor



Listening.  My heart is listening.

I’ve been learning that I hear God best when there’s nothing hindering His access to my soul.  Imagine that!

Another lesson recently learned:  Our enemy doesn’t so much put sinful ideas into our hearts and minds as much as he works to keep virtuous concepts out of them.  C.S. Lewis puts it this way in The Screwtape Letters“It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out.”

That is my trouble.  I am easily distracted by selfish thoughts and beliefs that cloud my better judgment and keep me from close fellowship with the Lover of my soul.

I allow these seeds of error to take root in my spirit, and the result is a wall of weeds and thistles that nearly close me off from my Shepherd’s voice.

Sure, the Holy Spirit’s promptings are there.  His whispers of righteousness prick at the depths of my heart, His home.  But I am busy doing my own thing.  On those days, I don’t want to listen.

I just don’t want to.  So, so stubborn and willfully deaf.

Yet….

Yet, I know that the instant I give up my obstinate behavior and am restored to Him, I can hear again.

It’s like Technicolor streaming onto a black and white screen.  Life is more vivid.  These are John 15:5 moments.  Why would I give them up?

On these days, the Lord speaks to my heart and assures me of His presence, His provision. 

          And I do not doubt.

Often, He gives me creative insight during these times.  I am at peace.  I am at rest in my soul.

Yesterday, I was walking closely with Him, and He directed me to Psalm 34:18.  I quote this passage to myself on rough days.  (Yes, I was having quite a day!) 

          “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

This morning, a client who is facing tough times told me that she too had been drawn to Psalm 34 yesterday, and it had given her help in her time of need.  We were both amazed by this “coincidence” and by the turn of conversation that had made it known. 

Honestly, I think God sent me Psalm 34 more for my client today than for myself yesterday.  She was greatly encouraged.  And I am encouraged by that.

I was attentive to the Spirit and His leading.

I was listening.

In Technicolor.


“I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing.”  John 15:5



No comments:

Post a Comment